Design a site like this with
Get started

Medically induced Diabetes?

Can taking drugs(statins) for cholesterol induce diabetes?

I was standing near the counter of a medical storing and looking at the transactions of medicines. At least 60-70% of the transaction was for medication related to Cholesterol and Diabetes. I was observing the people purchasing the medication to see if they were obese or probably having signs of insulin resistance. A simple way. check if they are heavy around the waist. 96% percent of them were heavy around the waist and the remaining 4% percent were probably people who had come to buy the medication for someone in their family.

Well, from my own experience, I was heavy around the waist, diagnosed with dyslipidemia and mild hypertension. Medication was on for both of them. Gradually, I developed Diabetes (Type II) as well. None of them every solved my disease but probably kept it in check over a period of time. There were fluctuations in medical parameters and so did my dosage of medication increase.

As every person who like to do, I start researching for articles and material on the internet, on ways to reduce my biomarker levels. I stumbled on the concept of insulin resistance from Dr. Jaganathan Dixit and his theory around fasting lnsulin levels. I got hooked to reading the material around Insulin and took me into a world of healthcare. I understood the tools and the puzzle of insulin to cell biology.

So to the theory.

It is possible that Statin drugs can induce diabetes. The effect of statin drugs is to reduce the cholesterol levels secreted by the Liver. There are scientific studies being done to establish the connection between statin medication and Diabetes. Statins are said to damage an enzyme called CoQ10 which is the key for the cells to absorb glucose into the muscles.

At a cell level, a substrate of glucose and fatty acids are required by the mitochondria for fission reaction to produce ATP (Energy currency). Possibly the cell signalling/pathyway is being disturbed and hence the cell dysfunction of the beta cells in the pancreas can cause the cells to turn dormant.

Possibly some class of statins may induce Diabetes. Considering that 70-80% of the cholesterol is produced by the body, why have statins to regulate the production. Reduce Insulin resistance and people have seen better readings on cholesterol and Diabetes. A better way to combat insulin resistance is a combination of Diet, Exercise, better sleep and with Intermittent fasting.


Published by Satish Ramasamy

Owner of website, Certified on Metabolism(KAIST), Nutrition(Stanford Univ) and Science of exercise(Colorado). IT professional with 2 decades of experience and now developing Health care solutions For Diabetics.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: