Even one night of bad sleep can cause Insulin Resistance. That statement hit me hard as I understood the impact of Hyperinsulimia. Insulin resistance can cause Diabetes.
Lack of proper sleep can cause hormone imbalance. The Growth hormone responsible for the growth of cells in your body secretes between 11 pm to 4 am. Disruption of hormones Melatonin and Seratonin will cause disruption in insulin secretion as well. Cortisol will go up. Ghrelin and Leptin will go out of control.
What Happens when the hormones go out control?
With Cortisol going up, the anabolic hormone Insulin will start converting excessive carbs into fat for future use. The visceral fat cells under your stomach will start growing for future use. Excess fat stored in the Liver will cause Fatty Liver (NAFLD) and in the pancreas causing the beta cells to shut down. Excess Leptin will cause you to start eating more that your normal quantity required and cause Leptin resistance. You will start bulging in the mid riff area.
What are common causes?
- Social Media is addictive and the likes of Face book, whatsapp, Instagram can make you lose track of time and well into past bed time.
- Late Dinner will cause digestion delay and cause you body to wait for shutdown
- Exercising late in the evening/night will cause cortisol spikes and cause difficulty to sleep
What must you do?
- Shut Down and move out of social media before 10 pm.
- Reading a book with small points will cause your eyes to shrink and cause you fall asleep.
- Sleeping at the same time every night will also set your circadian rhythm to settle in. REM (rapid eye movement) or Deep Sleep must happen for hormone secretion.
There are more suggestions for deep sleep that you can read in most books, blogs or on the internet. The above points are most common for people.